If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
That quote has been in the right side bar of the progressingamerica blog since day one, and will never change. We need to know progressives in order to defeat them, that's what guides the progressingamerica project going forward, and it always will. Sun Tzu is right. That's why Tzu's book is still studied, even after this many thousand years. It will be studied a thousand years from now.
So, what does the Bull Moose party platform advocate? The Bull Moosers, the progressive party's 1912 party platform calls for these following things:
* A National Health Service to include all existing government medical agencies.
* Social insurance, to provide for the elderly, the unemployed, and the disabled
* Limit the ability of judges to order injunctions to limit labor strikes.
* A minimum wage law for women
* An eight-hour workday
* A federal securities commission
* Farm relief
* Workers' compensation for work-related injuries
* An inheritance tax
You will see much of the modern progressive agenda in this old proclamation, in which they still fight for these things in 2016 - keep in mind this was written in 1912. That's how patient the progressives are. They plan for longer than their own lifespans. They plan forward for longer than their children's lifespans.
Think about that, that is a lot of patience. Now, most of the items in this list the progressives achieved long ago. But one item, healthcare, took the progressives 97 years to achieve. The first president to call for government meddling into healthcare was Theodore Roosevelt. And the progressives have been on that agenda ever since, it took Barack Obama to complete the job. Let me state it for you this way:
In Theodore Roosevelt's time, when the progressives wanted government healthcare, everybody involved with that effort - they're all dead. Who was the next progressive president to push toward government healthcare? FDR for certain, made his moves. But Truman is the one. Truman called for government healthcare.
In Truman's time, when the progressives wanted government healthcare, nearly everybody involved with that effort - all but only a small handful are all dead.
And so it goes. And let's also at least make one mention of how the progressives achieved government healthcare. Like so many other of their objectives, they nibbled. First, it was old people. Then it was children. Then it was everybody. They did the same thing with education. They nibbled. First it was one thing, then another, then the Department of Ed, then NCLB, then finally Common Core.
See, the progressives are patient, patient, patient. And they do not let death of the physical body halt them. They just complete the circle with the next guy in line. Here's another one:
* A strong, centralized government.
* An Executive arm growing at the expense of the legislative and judicial arms. In some countries, power is consolidated in a dictator, issuing decrees.
* The control of banking, credit, and security exchanges by the government.
* The underwriting of employment by the government, either through armaments or public works.
* The underwriting of social security by the government - old-age pensions, mothers' pensions, unemployment insurance, and the like.
* The underwriting of food, housing, and medical care, by the government. The United States is already experimenting with providing these essentials. Other nations are far along the road.
* The use of the deficit spending technique to finance these underwritings. The annually balanced budget has lost its old-time sanctity.
* The abandonment of gold in favor of managed currencies.
* The control of foreign trade by the government, with increasing emphasis on bilateral agreements and barter deals.
* The control of natural resources, with increasing emphasis on self-sufficiency
* The control of energy sources - hydroelectric power, coal, petroleum, natural gas.
* The control of transportation - railway, highway, airway, waterway.
* The control of agricultural production.
* The control of labor organizations, often to the point of prohibiting strikes.
* The enlistment of young men and women in youth corps devoted to health, discipline, community service and ideologies consistent with those of the authorities. The CCC camps have just inaugurated military drill.
* Heavy taxation, with especial emphasis on the estates and incomes of the rich.
* Not much "taking over" of property or industries in the old socialistic sense. The formula appears to be control without ownership. it is interesting to recall that the same formula is used by the management of great corporations in depriving stockholders of power.
* State control of communications and propaganda.
That's from Stuart Chase, who was an adviser to FDR. He called this "political system x".
At varying degrees throughout our lives, these 18 things have been fought for by progressives. Some of these things have come and gone over the years, but 100 years from now, the progressives will still be fighting to implement these. 500 years from now, the progressives will still be fighting to implement these.
Death does not stop the progressives. That's only a speedbump, an inconvenience, a distraction. That's a serious amount of patience to have. You may still be thinking that I'm kidding. Ok, check this out. A man named Hamilton Fish was a close friend with Theodore Roosevelt and a partisan hack progressive back in the day. Hamilton Fish was an actual Bull Mooser.
Hamilton Fish had a son named Hamilton Fish, who in turn also had a son named Hamilton Fish, who finally again, had a son named Hamilton Fish. Where is Hamilton Fish today?
Hamilton Fish the fifth is the current publisher of the magazine The New Republic. Please, please look it up. This seriously makes me want to start cussing! I couldn't make this up even if I tried. Reality is stranger than fiction. These progressives are the biggest scumbags! They do not stop. They're cockroaches. Once the building has roaches, it needs to be razed. And even that doesn't stop them. You build a new building and their descendants are right there anew.
Do you know what The New Republic is? I mean, do you know what The New Republic actually is? The New Republic was the progressive mouthpiece of Herbert Croly, who as you may know(everybody should know this) wrote a highly influential book titled "The Promise of American Life". The 'Promise' was one of Theodore Roosevelt's favorite books, and is generally believed to be the inspiration for his "New Nationalism" programme. TR also highly recommended Croly's second book, "Progressive Democracy".
This whole thing is incestuous! It's all cyclical for the progressives: Here we have Fish and TR and Croly and back to Fish again. True that its only one anecdote, but it really shows what I mean. There are others.
These progressives will just wait 10 or 20 years or however many they need, and if you've fallen asleep? Now they have you. Because the progressives certainly aren't changing their minds. You're just too stupid to understand their brilliance. They'll just change the people who pursue the agenda. They'll replace one Roosevelt with another Roosevelt, replace a Wilson for a Kennedy, for a Johnson for a Carter, for a Clinton for an Obama, for a Reid for a Schumer for a Pelosi and beyond. And I didn't even name any of the progressive republicans who have played their part either. John McCain anybody? And if you figure out the agenda? Change the title! That's why the progressives have been masquerading under the title of "liberalism" since FDR renamed their entire movement.
The agenda never stops. It only sleeps. Death gets cheated. The agenda is eternal. Big government forever!