Thursday, February 16, 2012

An observation

This is something I can neither prove nor disprove, I just find it too convenient to ignore. I came across something when I was doing some research regarding Woodrow Wilson and the Russian Revolution. The two parties at the time were the Bolsheviks and the Mensheviks, which (here's the part) means minimalist and maximalist, which I didn't know previously.

From dictionary.com:

Origin:
1905–10; in political use < French minimaliste ( see minimal, -ist), translation of Russian men'shevĂ­k Menshevik; subsequent uses perhaps recoinage with minimal, -ist

Seeing this made a light go off. At that moment, I remembered this piece of audio:

VAN JONES: One of the things that has happened too often to progressives is that we don't understand the relationship between minimum goals and maximum goals.

There's a lot in this audio beyond this one small piece, so it's easy to overlook the smaller things for the larger things - of which have been widely covered by others elsewhere. But I do not consider this to be a coincidence. Here we have a man who is so steeped in communist ideology, that he probably can't help but look at life through that lens. It has become totally embedded in his being.

No comments:

Post a Comment