The interesting thing about Evolutionary Socialism is that most people refuse to acknowledge its existence, just like people don't pay much attention to progressivism. Which is weird because arguably the most successful socialists in history are the British Fabians who promise to make haste slowly.
Well, the best way to understand something is simply to read (or now listen) to what they said about the topic and as such here is Eduard Bernstein's book about socialism piece by piece. It's literally the hand book about socialism by slowly boiling the frog in the pot.
Evolutionary Socialism, by Eduard Bernstein
Now I'm not saying pay a blind eye to the Revolutionaries. But what I am saying is that if over the decades, the Evolutionaries have been the most successful at implementing their goals, then you should be prioritizing your view and your discourses on the Evolutionaries. It's priorities. Most people that I see focus on the Revolutionaries and leave a blind eye to the Evolutionaries, which is a huge mistake. That is all I am getting at. In my summary for this book here is what I wrote:
Contains a challenge to the rigid Marxist orthodoxy that revolution is required in order achieve a centrally planned society. Bernstein believed in working from within a capitalist system in "revisionist", that is, evolutionary steps toward socialism. By gradually evolving in consistent legislative reforms, socialism could be made to become inevitable. Doing this would not only avoid the violence seen in earlier attempts to establish communism, but it would (Bernstein believed) endear the voting populace toward embracing a socialist future.
I think this is pretty accurate of a summary, even moreso for the view of Evolutionary Socialists than just simply the book itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment