Saturday, August 3, 2024

What more can I do culturally? Realistically speaking what can I do?

From time to time, I like to re-evaluate things and see if there is something I am missing. Mostly, this is a lengthy process of elimination based off of the realities of life. I usually do this in quiet where nobody can see. But let's examine it openly this time.

For example, I'm not a billionaire. I'm lucky to have more than $1000 in the bank at a lot of times which does perhaps put me ahead of a lot of people, but the reason I mention the money means I don't have a future creating a movie. So culturally, this isn't something I can do. I also don't have an exceptional idea for a movie so my motivation to do some cross-country stint, leaving my family behind while raising excitement and awareness and money is a non-starter.

Ok, maybe something less expensive is the best bet. Music certainly doesn't require cubic money like making a movie does, but musical instruments aren't exactly cheap and setting up a proper built-for-music sound room does not sound appealing. Further, my interests would not make for great listening. Also, I do not even sing in the shower nor do I currently play any instruments so the years of experience required for either side of the music just isn't there. A movie is out, and music is out.

Now, I could write a book. But I have questions as to if what I would write would be totally new and unique when compared to two really good books already out there that I am aware of, both of which were not very well received. My main interest is in the beginnings and evolution of Progressive ideology which could make for a book that would be loaded with footnotes. But is there actually an reason to do this when it isn't something anybody wants? The first of those books is Theodore and Woodrow, but the real star of the show was produced by the scholars at Hillsdale College. That book is called America Transformed: The Rise and Legacy of American Progressivism and it is a tour-de-force that lays down some very irrefutable evidence about the evils of progressivism, as well as progressivism's origins.

If nobody is going to trust Hillsdale, I don't have a chance. They aren't going to trust me when they're looking at the book shelf or Amazon dot com. Writing a book is definitely out, plus the origin book I would want to write exists (in a lot of ways) anyways. There is nothing for me to do here.

How about a blog! Surely that would work. Except, you're reading my blog right now which I don't use all that much anymore. When big-tech went rogue and political I watched my readership numbers dwindle due to the censorship. Now I mainly just use the blog for occasional musings and as a clearing house to announce new audio books. So the blog has lost its value when nobody will see it anyways no matter what I put on here. Which gets to the last one:

Audio books. In the last year, I've fostered the creation of about a dozen collaborative audio books. I say fostered, because I had to change my role at LibriVox for the time being. I lost my ability at home to do my own recordings in the short term (which has already been longer than I had hoped for) and at the soonest opportunity I do plan to get back to recording again. However, with roughly one new audio book a month I think I'm doing really well. As for my reach? It is not uncommon for a new audio book to get 10,000 downloads/listeners in the first few months as the books get established.

I never got numbers like that with the blog.

And recording audio books only cost me a microphone and some minor sound deadening for a nominal quality boost. Not a bad investment at all for a very measurable return on my personal time, giving me great value.

So, realistically, I'm in the best or most strategic place I can currently be in.

But wait! What about as an influencer with a YouTube VBlog/VLog? Or Rumble. Nah. Takes too much time and I get more hits through LibriVox anyways. Why would I accept less when I already have more?

Well, there you have it. If you think I overlooked an item, feel free to suggest it. Perhaps I'll re-evaluate in a few years or something. Now do I think I'm moving the Himalayan mountains or anything? Nope. I'm simply looking for what one single person can do, what's the maximum that I personally can do to have an impact on the culture. Through a process of elimination, I think I have reached the available height.

No comments:

Post a Comment